Friday, October 22, 2010

Sharing origins - my colleagues from my Temple!

http://www.kcjc.com/201010229534/news/bnai-jehudah-proud-of-rabbis-it-has-inspired.html


Here were my comments to reporter Marcia Horn for this article.

My bio

Rabbi Larry Karol is a 1970 B'nai Jehudah confirmand (in the same class as Rabbi Art Nemitoff). He graduated from Center High School in 1972, and attended University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, where he received a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences with a major in Sociology and a minor in Religious Studies. Rabbi Karol was ordained at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in Cincinnati in 1981. He served as assistant rabbi at Temple Israel in Dayton, Ohio in 1981-1984, rabbi of Temple Beth Sholom in Topeka, Kansas in 1984-2006, and rabbi of Temple Israel in Dover, New Hampshire since 2006. Rabbi Larry Karol has released two albums of original Jewish music, "Two are Better Than One" and "A New Beginning," and "One Light Above: The Larry Karol Songbook." He was one of a number of singer/songwriters who performed at newCAJE in Waltham, Massachusetts on August 1-4. Larry married Rhonda Marks (who was director of children's and youth service at the Dayton Jewish Center) in Dayton in 1982. Rhonda is currently an early childhood educator. Their son, Adam, was born in 1986 in Topeka. Adam, a 2008 graduate of Berklee College of Music, now serves as a digital media assistant with the Union for Reform Judaism's Congregational Consulting Group in the national offices in New York City.

I’d like to know if B’nai Jehudah influenced you or affected your decision to become a rabbi and in what way.

Both of my parents, Joseph and Ruth Karol, taught Religious School and were active in Temple auxiliaries for many years. I attended most of the Friday night services throughout my elementary through high school years. I sang in the Junior Choir and was active in Temple Youth Group. Temple B'nai Jehudah supported me in attending camp at Olin-Sang-Ruby Union Institute Camp (then Olin-Sang) for the first two years of their "tzofim" outdoor session and 7 weeks at Kutz Camp in Warwick, New York in 1970 for National Torah Corps, a special session that taught modern Hebrew and Jewish texts. Rabbi William Silverman was an impressive teacher, both in his Confirmation sessions (I still remember some of those specific lessons) and in the high school program that covered Jewish thought and comparative religion. Among the assistant rabbis was my first role model as a "singing rabbi," Rabbi Paul Levenson (whom I just saw at newCAJE). The Youth Group's "We Speak for Judaism" Panel, on which I served for three years, gave me many experiences in explaining Judaism to members of the Christian community. I remember one time when David Meyer and I spoke to a group of 25 Assembly of God ministers by ourselves! I should add that the Temple Youth Group, both at the local and regional level, gave me a chance to make connections in the Jewish world that continue until today.


Or if there were other factors that influenced your decision. Who was the senior rabbi when you were there? And is he the same one who taught your confirmation class? If you have anything else you want to add, please feel free.

I was fortunate to attend a university with a very active Hillel Foundation that had a director who noted my interest in entering the rabbinate. I took courses in Hebrew and Judaica all four years, sang in the Hillel Choir and served as accompanist and co-director for two years. I was a member of the student board and also took a formal position during my senior year, leading a Shabbat dinner every week at an honors dormitory. Those years of college were crucial in keeping me closely connected to Jewish life.

I feel fortunate to have been part of a vibrant congregation and Jewish community. There was always a lot going on! I am also grateful to Temple B'nai Jehudah for the opportunity to serve three years as a summer rabbinic intern (when Michael Zedek was senior rabbi) and another year working with the Summer Hebrew Day Camp program directed by Bob Tornberg. That experience stood me in good stead in my student pulpits and in my service to three congregations throughout my rabbinate. I appreciated the support that Temple Sisterhood provided for my rabbinic school education. I am glad to have seen my parents active in Temple in their later years, with my mom serving as Sisterhood President and Gift Shop chairperson and my dad creating a Brotherhood/Sisterhood page on his home computer for the Temple Bulletin.

No comments:

Post a Comment